Social media marketing is a very powerful way to build brand recognition these days. It is a great way to organically interact with some of the influencers in the business, and even makes it possible to network with casting directors. However, there are a few golden rules of using Twitter to accomplish these tasks as a voiceover artist.
Always Treat Others With Respect If you don’t agree with something that someone else tweeted, and you can’t respond in a positive, respectful manner, then don’t respond. That sort of negative interaction will do nothing for your business, except possibly lose you some of your followers who don’t agree with your argument.
Understand the Power of the Tweet It may be just 140 characters, a sentence or two at most, but it can carry great weight. Remember that for each tweet you could be producing something upon which others will form a first impression. As we have learned through the years, first impressions are very powerful and often difficult to overcome. Be sure that you understand that many of those who interact with you online do not know you, other than by the content you share on that platform.
Do For Others More than You Do For You It is true that Twitter can be a great platform for advertising your product or service – in this case, your demo tape – but before you ask others to listen to it or to share it, consider what you have done for others on Twitter. A good rule is to provide value 75% of the time, and promote yourself the other 25%. That means that the majority of your time on Twitter should be spent liking, sharing, and commenting on others’ content, or providing content that has value for your audience. Then, every so often, you can work in information about your demo, or your most recent project, asking others to interact with those announcements.
Do Not Be Impatient Consider all of the people you have met in your life. Consider how many friends you have made and the people who have entered your family through marriage, birth, or adoption. That didn’t all happen in a day, a week, or even in a month. It takes time to build a network. The same is true when you are building that network online. Be patient and you can steadily grow a following, which may just help you score that next big voiceover gig.